Here we'll update all the results of our #lazypolls we've ran in 2021. All of these are general snapshots and products are in no particular order. We highly recommend browsing the poll comments to get personal takes and use experiences. The #lazypoll has been running for the past 3 years and we've enjoyed the evolution of this series. You'll find users helping lost souls, sharing all sorts of detailed experiences, and discovering all sorts of new products.
*To help readers learn more about products showcased in each poll, we built out and organized these results into Shop My Shelf. We do receive a small commission for using out affiliate link. Thank you for your support!
January 26, 2021: Retinoids Poll
- Those looking to start, consider a low level retinol: ~0.1-0.3% range. Drugstore brands are a great starting point!
- Those looking to troubleshoot irritation, consider lowering the concentration and/frequency. You can also consider switching to an alternative like granactive retinoid (hydroxypinacolone retinoate) or bakuchiol.
- There's a retinal cohort! For those curious about this avenue, consider a low level of 0.05% to start. Remember that this concentration range is different than retinol.
Some specific notes we have:
The traditional format has been the classic water-based ascorbic acid serums that turn brown and smell like 7-eleven hotdogs over time.
Another common L-AA format is the waterless formulas that are generally silicone oil suspensions.
There's a subset of you that don't do well with ascorbic acid. A good method is to either dial down your concentration to the 5-10% ascorbic acid range or start looking into vitamin C derivatves (sodium ascorbyl phosphate, magenesium ascorbyl phosphate, THD Ascorbate, ascorbyl glucoside, etc.)
There's also a subset that have mentioned it does jack diddly squat for you.
April 14, 2021: Chemical Exfoliant AHA / BHA / PHA Poll
A couple takeaways:
- We noticed people dialing in on their ingredient sweet spot. Some champion 1 AHA, while others enjoy switching it up with a combo of these guys. It's always great to see people finding their personal combo. We've found chemical exfoliants to really highlight how personal skincare can be.
- PHAs are a thing! We've definitely enjoyed hearing that people are finding exfoliant alternatives in PHAs, gluconolactone and lactobionic acid. PHAs are really the most gentle out of the bunch and have some pretty cool data on evening skin tone.
May 18, 2021: Sunscreen Poll
The two immediate takeaways we had was:
- There are soO many sunscreens to choose from.
- It makes us happy to know so many have really put in the effort to find their sunscreen favorites.
- A lot of these aren't sold in the US and have to be purchased through more creative means (ie. Amazon, Stylevana, Yesstyle, etc.) Be sure to check the expiration date to make sure the lot you received is still valid.